top of page

Earthquake Fault Zones and Seismic Hazard Zones Hollywood 7.5 Minute Quadrangle

According to the California Geological Survey, the AP act requires the State Geologist to establish regulatory zones (known as Earthquake Fault Zones) around the surface traces of active faults and to issue appropriate maps. These maps are distributed to all affected cities, counties, and state agencies for their use in planning and controlling new or renewed construction.


Local agencies must regulate most development projects within the zones. Projects include all land divisions and most structures for human occupancy. Single family wood-frame and steel-frame dwellings up to two stories not part of a development of four units or more are exempt. However, local agencies such as cities, counties, school districts etc. can be more restrictive than State law requires.


bottom of page